How To Get More Music Fans And Promote Your Music To More People
by Tom Hess
Music Instead Of
EMAIL TO GET ACCESS
“How do I get more music fans to hear my music?” “What can I do to promote my music to more people?” “Where can I find more music fans?” These are the questions that I am asked about on a regular basis by musicians looking for advice on how to improve their music career.
Get more music fans to build your fan base by:
- Getting your tunes heard by more music fans.
- Getting your music fans to support you (by buying your music, coming to your shows and buying your merchandise).
- Transforming your music fans into raving fanatics of your music who tell everyone about how awesome you are.
Music Instead Of
EMAIL TO GET ACCESS
Here are simple strategies that help you expand your fan base and promote your music:
Music Promotion Goal: Getting Your Music Heard By More People
Strategy 1: Find a band that is about to record an album in a similar style. Pay them to release one of your songs as a bonus track on their album.
The band should be more known than your band, but not so huge that it’s impossible to contact them.
Tip: be selective about the musicians you select for this idea, the same way you would be when finding musicians for your own band.
Here is how this helps you get more music fans:
- You have an opportunity to promote yourself to the fan base of another band (who already like music in the style you play).
- You build a relationship that can lead to other opportunities later. For example, you may be able to also buy onto a tour with the larger band who already knows and trusts you. This gives you the opportunity to play in front of their music fans.
Strategy 2: Release A Compilation Album.
A compilation album is a record that features music by multiple artists. You can either have each artist contribute 1 song to the album or have fewer artists contribute several songs each.
Here is how a compilation album helps you get your music heard by more people:
- You can share the costs of recording, manufacturing and distributing the album among everyone involved. This means you can release the album a lot fastern.
- You promote your music not only to your own music fans, but also to more music fans (of every other musician featured on the record). For example: if 10 artists are involved, you increase the number of people who hear your music by up to 10 times.
You can either sell the compilation album or give it away for free (as a bonus) when someone buys a copy of your album. This is a creative way to get your fans to buy your music. You can also give it away to anyone who buys a concert ticket to see you play live.
Your goal isn’t to make money directly from the sales of the compilation album. The objective is to use the album as a promotional tool for other aspects of your career.
Music Promotion Goal: Motivate Your Music Fans To Support Your Music Career
Get More Music Fans - Strategy 1: Give Your Music Fans Irresistible Offers
One way to increase your music sales is to offer your music fans something they really want & can only get if they purchase your music. This should be something that cannot be copied or distributed illegally (like digital products can).
- Backstage passes,
- Party tickets for your music fans
- Merchandise items (that music fans get only after buying your album)
- Memorabilia from gigs or recording sessions
- Opportunities to get front row seats at your shows
You can use the same idea to get your fans to come to your gigs.
Get More Music Fans - Strategy 2: Grow Your Mailing List Of Music Fans
Build a mailing list with the names and email addresses of all the music fans you have. This makes it easy to contact your music fans at any time and let them know about your upcoming shows and projects.
Your mailing list of music fans is your greatest power in the music industry.
Music Promotion Goal: Turning Your Existing Music Fans Into Fanatics
Get More Music Fans - Strategy 3: Hold special events, meet ups and contests for your music fans that are based around your band.
This helps you get more music fans who are loyal to you and more likely to support you long-term.
Get More Music Fans - Strategy 4: Reward your most loyal music fans with special gifts and access that normal music fans don't get.
The prizes should help you get more music fans by having them take specific actions, such as:
- Coming to a certain number of your live shows
- Buying your latest album and/or a certain amount of merchandise
- Bringing their other friends to your shows.
This way your music fans get what they want and you grow your music career a lot faster.
You now know more about promoting your music to get more music fans.
The next step to growing your music career is to learn how to get your music fans to buy your music instead of downloading it for free. Download this free music career eGuide to learn how to make more money from music sales than you ever have before.
About Tom Hess: Tom Hess is a guitar teacher, music career mentor and guitar teacher trainer. He trains musicians how to leave their day jobs and build successful fulltime careers in the music industry.
Get more music fans and become a successful musician by developing your own music business plan.